Adult surgeons not considered expert while performing surgery on a child. A specialized doctor only can perform surgery in the cases of children. Child body organs are complex and sophisticated in comparison to the adults. Surgery parameters like anaesthesia, IV fluids also need different expertise and monitoring.
Here are some interesting facts mentioned below, to help you know about the facts about child surgery:
- The 20th century brought the revolution of paediatric or child surgery since the birth abnormalities came into notice.
- William E. Ladd was the first doctor who performed paediatric surgery and thus known as the father of child surgery.
- Neonatal and fetal surgeries are the branches or sub-division of pediatric surgery.
- Child surgery follows different fluid consumption. It needs special expertise to give liquids to a child.
- Regional anaesthesia along with general anaesthesia given to block the nerve before surgery in the targeted part of the body.
- Epidural anaesthesia is the most common anaesthesia used to perform child surgery. This type of anaesthesia given during childbirth (Injection of local anaesthesia during childbirth)
- Parents need to be there for their children post-surgery. Parents are the only one who can prepare their child mentally for the surgery. They should also be beside their children after the surgery to mentally heal the child.
- A child needs 3-4 weeks to recover after a less complicated surgery while a complicated surgery needs 6-8 weeks to recover.
- During child surgery, development of counter antibodies seen due to frequent blood transfusions. It may create difficulty obtaining compatible blood for the child. Special expertise needed to match the child’s blood type to reduce antibody development.
- Ideally, an anaesthetist should pay the child or their parent a visit to know about the general health and complications before surgery.
The pediatric division of Park hospital offers the best OPD and surgical services under the surveillance of supreme child doctors. At Park Hospital in Gurgaon and Delhi NCR, all child surgeries performed by child specialists.